The Northwestern Ohio Synod is one of 65 synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and one of six synods that comprise region six. Our neighboring synods in region six include Northeastern Ohio, Northwest Lower Michigan, Southeast Michigan, Indiana/Kentucky and Southern Ohio.
What is a Synod?
A “synod” is a shared journey. It actually comes from two Greek words which give us the words “synonymous” and “odyssey.” Together, as a synod we are on a synonymous odyssey. It means that we are journeying together: strengthening, challenging, and supporting one another as God leads us in living his mission with each other and with the world.
Each synod in assembly elects a bishop and other officers. As the synod’s pastor, the bishop oversees the ministry of other pastors and congregations. Together with her/his assistant(s), the bishop provides support to congregations. This includes assistance in calling pastors and other staff; support in times of difficulty and congregational conflict; and, joining in the celebrations of congregations. Bishops also oversee the administration of the synod, supervising the work of other officers and staff. In addition, they serve as bishops of the whole ELCA, coming together regularly in gatherings of the Conference of Bishops.
- Number of Congregations: 164
- Number of Baptized Members: 89,922
- Average number of TOTAL Northwestern Ohio members worshipping per regular worship service: 29,903
- Number of Rostered Clergy: 259
- Number of Rostered Lay: 13
- Regular synod communications: Partners in Mission (for congregations and lay members)
- Companion Synods: Dodoma Diocese, Tanzania & Slovak ELC in Serbia and Montenegro
- The Rev. Marcus Lohrmann serves the Northwest Ohio Synod as its Bishop. Our Synod Staff serves along side the Bishop from our office in Findlay, Ohio.
- The Synod Council serves as the board of directors and as the interim legislative authority between meeting of the Synod Assembly. It may make decisions between meetings of the Synod Assembly.
About the ELCA
The ELCA is a community of faith that shares a passion for making positive changes in the world. Our faith is built around a strong belief in God as made known to us in Jesus Christ. Through worship, service, and education, we practice our faith, grow our relationship with God and experience God’s grace in our lives. Learn more about What Lutherans Believe.
We also work hard to put our faith into action. In today’s complex world, we strive to make a difference in practical, realistic ways.
With more than 10,300 congregations across the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 4.5 million members—we welcome you to experience this church right in your community. Help us celebrate our gift of faith—with action.